Football Club Zugdidi, usually known more simply as Zugdidi, has a complicated history dating all the way back to 1919, making them one of the most historic football teams in Georgia. The club have undergone several name changes and reboots, and its current incarnation was formed in 2006 under the name FC Baia Zugdidi, after a merger with FC Mglebi Zugdidi. Then, prior to the 2012-13 season, the team was partially rebooted once again, changing to the more simplified name of FC Zugdidi. As a result of this complex history, the team's foundation date varies, depending on the source.
During the era of the Soviet Union, the club operated under several names, including IngurGES Zugdidi and Dinamo Zugdidi, and played in the regional tiers of the league pyramid. The current club is seen as a direct continuation of those sides by many, although some see FC Zugdidi as a seperate entity.
In terms of notable achievements during the Soviet era, Zugdidi were twice crowned as champions of the regional Georgian Soviet Championship, with those titles coming in 1964 and 1973. The 1973 season also saw the side lift the Georgian Soviet Cup, which they would go on to claim for the second time in 1984. During the 1990s, the team, then operating as Odishi Zugdidi, competed in the top tier of Georgia's independent national league. The re-born FC Zugdidi made their first appearance in the top flight in 2009-10, after gaining promotion as the runners up of the Pirveli Liga.
Some of the notable players to have played for the club in recent times include Georgia international, Nika Dzalamidze, and Zambia international, Chisamba Lungu.
FC Zugdidi's home matches are played at Anaklia Stadium, which opened in 2012 and is owned by the country's government. It is able to hold up to 1,000 supporters.