Aberdeen's Pawlett charged for Dundee 'dive'
By Football News
The Scottish Football Association has accused Aberdeen winger Peter Pawlett of diving to win the penalty that relegated Dundee on Sunday.
The SFA confirmed on Monday that Pawlett had been issued with a notice of complaint and has until Thursday to respond.
The 22-year-old faces a two-match ban if he accepts the charge or he can take the issue to a judicial panel hearing on May 16.
Dundee needed three points to remain in the Scottish Premier League but had to settle for one after Pawlett went down under a challenge from Lewis Toshney and Niall McGinn converted the resulting spot-kick to earn a 1-1 draw.
Dundee manager John Brown said: "It was a blatant dive. He was diving with two feet before he has even come near the player."
However, Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes defended his player in the immediate aftermath of the game.
He said: "For me, the big boy Toshney came in and tried to slow down at the last minute but was a bit hasty in his challenge and, for me, he has caught Peter.
"There is definite contact and it is a penalty kick and I think it is a right decision."
Pawlett has been in trouble for diving before as he received a two-match suspension for diving to gain the match-winning penalty in a 1-0 win over Hibernian in December 2011.
He was also booked for simulation twice in January, once against Dundee while on loan at St. Johnstone, and also against Hibernian for Aberdeen.