Founded In
Ajaccio, France


About Ajaccio

Athletic Club Ajaccio, more commonly known as Ajaccio, is based on the island of Corsica and was initially founded during the 1909-10 season. The club's main local rivals are SC Bastia, and the two teams contest the Corsica derby, although Ajaccio also maintain a rivalry with fellow island club Gazélec Ajaccio. AC Ajaccio famously played their first football match on what had previously been a sand dump, levelled out as a makeshift pitch. The club was not granted professional status until 1965, almost fifty years after its foundation.

After turning professional, Ajaccio hit the ground running and were crowned champions of Ligue 2 at the conclusion of the 1966-67 season, gaining promotion to the top flight as a result. Since that time, the club has regularly bounced between the two divisions and briefly fell as far as the third tier, the Championnat National, during the 1990s. Their climb back to the top league began with a first place finish in the Championnat National in 1997-98 and then a first place finish in Ligue 2 in 2001–02. Since such time, the club has again began to yo-yo between the top and second division, gaining promotion back to Ligue 1 at the conclusion of the 2010-11 season, after a second place finish in Ligue 2.

In addition to Ligue 2 titles in 1966–67 and 2001–02, Ajaccio have been crowned champions of the Corsican League, or Ligue de Corse, on nine occasions, with the victories coming in 1920, 1921, 1934, 1939, 1948, 1950, 1955, 1964 and 1994. Other than these successes, major honours have been non-existent for the club during its history.

Some of the club's more notable former players include the French internationals Marius Trésor, Dominique Baratelli and Sébastien Squillaci, as well as foreign talents like François M'Pelé, Dado Pršo and Adrian Mutu.

Ajaccio currently play their home games at the Stade Francois Coty, which is named after a local politician. The stadium, also known by some supporters as the Stade Timizzilo, has served the club since 1969 and has a total capacity of 10,660.