Anorthosis

Founded In
1911
Location
Lárnaka (Larnaca), Cyprus

Anorthosis

About Anorthosis

Anorthosis Famagusta Football Club, often known more simply as Anorthosis, was first established in January 1911. Originally based in the city of Famagusta, the club relocated to Larnaca after the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in 1974 and have remained there ever since. They were a founding member of the Cyprus Football Association and are amongst the most successful teams in the country. Anorthosis are also one of the few teams to have never suffered relegation from the top tier. The club are nicknamed 'The Old Lady'.

The 1950s and 1960s marked Anorthosis' first golden era and over the course of those two decades, they were crowned as league champions on six occasions, with those wins coming in 1950, 1957, 1958, 1960, 1962 and 1963. Furthermore, they lifted the Cypriot Cup in 1959, 1962 and 1964.

Anorthosis' second period of major success began in the 1990s and continued into the new millennium. During this time, the team were able to win additional league titles in 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2005 and 2008, in order to take their total haul up to 13. As a result, they are the third most successful team in the league's history. In total, the club have lifted the Cypriot Cup 10 times and the Super Cup six times. They have also represented Cyprus in the Champions League and UEFA Cup. 

Former Georgia international, Temuri Ketsbaia, is perhaps the club's best-known former player and his number 14 shirt was retired by the side, in order to honour his huge contributions to their recent success. Other notable former players include Georgi Kinkladze, Marco Haber and Ricardo Laborde.

Anorthosis play home matches at Antonis Papadopoulos Stadium, which opened in 1986. The stadium has undergone a number of changes over the years, including a 1997 renovation to turn it into an all-seater venue and a 2008 renovation to increase its capacity. The stadium can currently hold up to 10,230 spectators.

disableDynamicNavigation