Checking In On The NFC East
By Allen Kim
New York Giants
Robert Griffin III
- Dez Bryant told a local radio station that the finger he fractured last season is feeling great. He also revealed that he’s already catching passes from QB Tony Romo.
- Dwayne Harris has been upgraded to the No. 3 wideout on the team’s depth chart.
- The Cowboys asked RT Doug Free to take a pay cut, and the recent rumor is so they can use the money to sign free agent OT Ryan Winston. However, Ed Werder of ESPN believes that this may be a ploy in order to put pressure on Free to slash his salary.
New York Giants
- RB Andre Brown switched agents, signing with Drew Rosenhaus. As an unrestricted free agent in 2014, Brown will be looking to make some noise this season in order to land a big payday.
- Exclusive rights free agent C Jim Cordle re-signed with the Giants to add some depth behind David Baas.
- Former Giants RB Brandon Jacobs is apparently trying to return to New York, posting a photo on Instagram expressing his interest in a reunion. The team hasn’t ruled out the possibility of his return.
- Eli Manning and brother Peyton are working out together at Duke University along with Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks and Louis Murphy. It’s a good sign that Nicks is already active, and Cruz taking snaps with Manning can only be taken as a positive for now.
- Victor Cruz allegedly told two people that he “plans to stay with the Giants long-term.” The business and marketing potential he has at his disposal with Roc Nation in New York are supposedly playing a large role. While this does little to placate anxious Giants fans, it’s a welcome bit of news in an otherwise quiet situation.
- The Eagles traded backup RB Dion Lewis to the Cleveland Browns for LB Emmanuel Acho, which looks to be a fairly even and sensible deal for both sides.
- Philadelphia offered LB Akeem Jordan a deal to return to the team, but there are other teams potentially in play for his services.
- While discussing the future of the Eagles, coach Chip Kelly gave a vote of support for QB Michael Vick.
- Much to the chagrin of Giants fans everywhere — and a moment that will haunt Matt Dodge for all of eternity — DeSean Jackson’s game-winning punt return against the Giants was voted as NFL.com’s ‘Greatest Play of All Time’.
- LG Kory Lichtensteiger declared that he’ll be at full strength for the start of the 2013 season, and he’ll also be ready for OTAs. This is a welcome bit of news for the Redskins injury ravaged roster.
- LB London Fletcher may not be the force he was once, but he will not be asked to restructure the $5.5 million he’s owed in 2013.
- Reed Doughty said that he’ll “be ready” to participate in OTAs after having surgery on his right toe.
- NT Chris Baker signed his restricted free agent tender with the Washington Redskins, and he’ll be earning $1.32 million this upcoming season.
- S Jordan Bernstine, still recovering from a knee injury, is not ready for OTAs yet. After missing nearly his entire rookie year, the Redskins will need all the help they can get in their secondary for 2013.
- WR Pierre Garcon isn’t sure that he’ll be 100-percent for the upcoming season, but he’ll at least “be healthy enough to play.” Surgery is still a possibility, and Redskins fans have reason enough to be concerned about him.
- In an interview with ESPN 980 radio, backup QB Rex Grossman said that he expects Robert Griffin III to be ready for the start of the season. Grossman is just another member of the organization giving RGIII his vote of confidence, and it’s a positive sign for the team and their fans.