Football.com - everything football

Colin Kaepernick Takes Shots At Richard Sherman

by Allen K
Jan 31, 2014 5:43 PM EST

Despite his rising fame and slew of endorsements, Colin Kaepernick is generally one of the more reserved quarterbacks in the league. However, that didn’t stop him from taking shots at Richard Sherman.

“I don’t care who’s out there,” Kaepernick said to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post. “I had Crabtree one-on-one with half of the field to himself, and I’m going to take that every single time. He made a good play on that ball, but if I throw it a foot farther, it’s a touchdown and now you’re the goat, Richard Sherman.

“It’s a game of inches. The inches were in [Sherman’s] favor in that case, but this game will humble you very quickly.”

In fairness to Kaepernick, it was a good play and throw to Crabtree; Sherman just happened to make a better play. If the play went the other way, the whole media circus following Sherman would have likely never happened, and we wouldn’t have witnessed one of the most entertaining post-game interviews in recent memory.

“As my dad has always told me, if you have to tell people how good you are, then how good are you really?” Kaepernick said. “If you have to go on national TV and try to say you’re the best cornerback in the league, then you’ve got your own insecurities.”

Deion Sanders often proclaimed himself as the greatest cornerback in the league, and it was hard to argue against him. What Sherman is doing is no different. Sherman’s play more than backs his talk up, and he’s widely considered to be the best at his position in the NFL today.

“Did that make you feel better about yourself? Then go ahead, because I’m not worried about you,” Kaepernick said, referring to Sherman. “I’m just worried winning games and helping us get to the Super Bowl.

“I can’t get insulted by something that ridiculous coming from somebody like that. From the time that [championship-game final] play ended to the time his [postgame] news conference ended, let’s just say it wasn’t very politically correct.”

Kaepernick’s comments sound like that of a bitter player still upset over not making it back to the Super Bowl. You can sense a tinge of acrimony and jealousy in his phrasing, but Sherman did technically ask for it after he made the choking gesture to Kaepernick — a move that cost him $7,875 after he was fined by the NFL — following the tip and interception.

“I’ll take that matchup every day,” Kaepernick said. “I feel like he’s afraid of our receivers, and that’s something I look forward to [exploiting] next year.”

Sherman and Kaepernick are both young, and it’s hard to imagine either of them playing for another team anytime soon. This rivalry has gotten off to a very contentious start, and it could build for years to come. But, for now, Sherman has the edge in the rivalry, and he accomplished his goal of getting into Kaepernick’s head.