CFP Contenders - Michigan State

Created on Aug. 03, 2014 10:53 AM EST

I wanted to take this space and time to look at some of the contenders that have a realistic shot at making one of the four spots available for the newly formed College Football Playoff (CFP) I'll try to give you evidence as to what makes them contenders, not just my opinion. Feel free to leave comments on this post or any of our Social Media platforms. TWITTER, FACEBOOK, FANCRED, PINTEREST, GOOGLE+ or INSTAGRAM.

The Spartans are again in the discussion to repeat as B1G Champions, although many believe they are not the favorite. Most of the media has picked Ohio State. I disagree with that choice. Urban Meyer has a penchant for losing big games,and I don't see that changing this season.

Coached by Mark Dantonio, the Spartans will be tested September 6th by a powerful Oregon team in Eugene, OR. I am thinking MSU comes home with the victory. While that does not automatically qualify the Spartans, wins over Nebraska, Ohio State, and Penn State along with the rest of their schedule, should set them up nicely, in the event that the Ducks should prevail.

The biggest hurdles are rebuilding offensive line cohesiveness after losing 3 members to graduation. An All-Conference center will anchor that line. This offense will rely heavily on the defense early in the season while the offense gets it's sea legs. It won't take long however, and this team will be hard to beat.

That's our look at the second team that will make the playoff. Of course there are no guarantees, so the possibilities that no school from the B1G is represented in the playoff. If there is however, they may include Ohio State, Nebraska, and much improved Maryland.