Cody Carrete
Author

Northwest Rivalry Recap (Part 1 of 3)

Apr 05, 2014 5:22 PM EST

Seattle came to town today and boy was it enthralling. The weather was typical, the Army was up for the game, and Portland had a lot to prove. The Timbers had so much to prove to the big city it aspires to remain different than. 

Returning to Portland was Kenny Cooper who opened the scoring but that did nothing to quiet the crowd or the team. In fact, it made them very respondent, leading to an extremely rare goal by Diego Chara, even more rare than seeing a hipster Portlander drinking a Starbucks Cinnamon Dolce Latte. He picked up the ball just into Seattle's half and drove at the defense before unleashing a shot that swerved slightly away from Frei. He must have been thinking, "Maxi sucks, and if coach still lets him play I might as well shoot because it's not like I can do any worse." It could have been two a few minutes later as the Timbers had a shot carom off the post, just missing an outstretched Will Johnson.

If that wasn't miraculous enough, Valeri found his shooting boots hiding under the passenger seat of his car. The better Diego certainly had to upstage his namesake and did so in style. A pivot in the box, aiming high and near just as you're supposed to, he smashed it off the underside of the bar to give Portland their first lead of the season.

Kah was lucky to be on the field after committing another contentious challenge. You'd think someone would tell him going studs up on a player is illegal. Additionally, being called for a hand ball just outside the box was debated by the Gambian. Come to think of it, he just needs to learn the rules of the game.

Yet again though, Norberto Paparatto lived up to my expectations being in no man's land. He stepped up way too high in midfield, leaving only the shaky Pa Kah as the sole properly positioned center back. Clint Dempsey took advantage of this from Obafemi Martins' through ball to slot it to the goalkeeper's left. Perfectly finished ball by the heavily criticized, highest-paid player in the league.

The Portland Timbros

@PortlandTimbros