Football.com - everything football

Portland vs. Chicago Player Ratings

by Cody Carrete
Mar 16, 2014 11:19 PM EDT

Portland Timbers had their second game of the season, and it happened to be the second consecutive home game of the season. The team was awful in the first 30 or so minutes, but ended the half with a flurry that nearly resulted in an equalizer.

While the team is not predicated on having one central forward, La Gata pounced on a Sean Johnson error to steal yet another point. I am confident that the Timbers will come around to get goals from other parts of the field, but there really is no information on which to base that. Of all the preseason matches and the two regular season games, we have never looked like the attacking and goal scoring mating of last year.

Maybe this is partly because the opposition has figured out Porterball. Maybe it is because we are trying too hard to integrate new players. Maybe the team is incapable of adjusting to the play of the opposition.

Below are my personal ratings on the performances of the Timbers who saw action this afternoon against the Fire.

Papa - 6 - He was terrible the first 40 minutes and last 5 minutes, giving away a penalty and getting a card, but between that he was decent. He improved over last week. (This must be defended a little because a six is pretty high. However, with going 11/11 for clearances and 15/15 for interceptions, it displays that he figured out his positioning in the match. Additionally, coming back from giving away a penalty and having the atrocious opening 20 minutes that he did, Papa showed strong character to shake that off and continue with the game).

Ricketts - 7 - He shouldn’t be at fault for the goal because it was a penalty. He had one good save in the run of play and an amazing point-blank save off a set piece in the second half.

Johnson - 5.5 - Johnson was all over the place and had an unforgivable miss. While he had two acrobatic efforts, maybe he should have tried something different.

Jewsbury - 7 - The club captian had a solid showing, again with a huge improvement. He was running around the park, putting in effort where needed. He pulled down that great Chara pass in an attempt to get an assist.

Harrington - 5 - Eh.

Nagbe - 6 - Nagbe was fouled a lot, having a rough afternoon, but did not produce anything at all. He won a couple free kicks and had a few good showings of skill but needs better passing to help the team.
Valeri - 5.5 - It may seem harsh, but with a 60 something percent passing rate, he can’t receive much more.

La Gata - 6.5 - While he got the game winner again there were large parts of the game that he was ineffective. Those tap-in goals are coming at the right time, but when it counts, will he be reliable?

Chara - 7 - Man of the match for me. Who would have thought he could provide that Jewsbury pass? He was putting out fires all over the place and passing like a champ.

Maxi - 6 - He took an arm to the face but went down too easily a couple times. Me no likey.

Futty - 6 - What the #$%! was he thinking with that pass out of the back after showing good skill to shake off the forward.

Piquionne - 4.5 - He played?

Zakuani - 4.5 - Coming on as a sub requires some sort of contribution. He needs to provide width and an attacking option. Even Harrington showed a little frustration with him. He blew that chance off the Valeri shot and rebound.

Agree? Disagree? Let me know.

@portlandtimbros.com

www.theportlandtimbros.com