Nick D

Liverpool with the Premier League title in sight after seeing off Man City 3-2

Created on Apr. 13, 2014 10:31 AM EST

Liverpool continue to fight for the title after defeating their title rivals Manchester City 3-0. At an emotional Anfield that marked the anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster the Reds fought hard and secured the top spot for one more week. Manchester City though still have a chance to win the title if they can win all their remaining games.

Liverpool hold top spot and increase the pressure on their rivals Man City and Chelsea

The game kicked off to a huge roar from the Anfield faithful as the Liverpool fans have never been closer to a Premier League title in many years. Liverpool started strong and pushed forward early on. Suarez was lurking up front and his eagerness saw him earn a yellow for a late challenge on Demichelles. Though this was forgotten as Liverpool would take the lead in the 6th minute. Suarez would win the ball in midfield and he would see Sterling make a run into the box. Suarez's ball was perfectly timed and it found the youngster behind the two defenders. Sterling then took a touch and dragged both Hart and Kompany towards the left, then he quickly turned back and slotted the ball into the back of the net. 1-0 for Liverpool and the Anfield crowd erupted into song.

Raheem Sterling gives the Reds the lead after only 6 minutes of play

Liverpool with the lead looked comfortable on the ball and Manchester City now had a game to chase. City were lucky to not go down another goal as Sterling made a great run down the right side and fed an early ball into the box towards Sturridge. The England striker got to the ball but his first time shot would go the wrong side of the post. Things got worse for City as their in form player Yaya Toure was subbed off early with what looked to be a groin strain after he tried a shot from distance. Javi Garcia was brought on to cover the midfield but the City fans knew this was a big blow to their team. The match though had to go on and Pellegrini knew he needed to find a way to get his team back into this game. City started to settle and started to enjoy some possession and slowly started pushing forward. Liverpool though kept their cool and looked to counter against City. The SAS did and as Sterling found Sturridge on the run he almost picked out Suarez wide left and earned Liverpool a corner. Coutinho would take the corner and none of the City players thought to mark Gerreard who had an open header. Hart though was in the right spot and managed to tip it over the bar. Gerrard then whipped in the next corner and found Skrtel unmarked at the near post whose glancing header saw the ball fly into the bottom right corner and double Liverpool's lead.

Skrtel doubled Liverpool's lead in the 26th minute as City struggled to defend from the set piece

Manchester City now had to dig real deep to get a result from this match. Every time they were on the ball the Liverpool fans made sure that the boos echoed throughout the stadium. City did earn themselves a free kick just outside the centre of the box but it was a wasteful effort by Silva who couldn't get past the Red wall in front of him. City pressured Liverpool at every moment as the half draw to a close but they struggled to get any momentum going and their passing lacked any purpose and fluidity too. City's best chance came just minutes before the halftime whistle. A dangerous corner by Nasri saw Kompany's header cleared off the line first by Johnson and then by Sterling who was having a fantastic game so far. Then Mignolet was called into action for the first time as Fernandinho's sliding shot from the centre of the box was well parried away by the Liverpool keeper. The halftime whistle sounded and Pellegrini really needed to get his team in the locker room and fire them up for the second half.

Pellegrini worried as he watches his team go two goals down after 45 minutes of play

The second half kicked off and Liverpool would have been a bit nervous especially after the finish City had in the first half. Pellegrini did bring on Milner for Navas to try and use his speed down the right wing and expose the inexperienced Flanagan who has shown to make a few mistakes in past games. Suarez was also very lucky also to remain in the game after what looked to be a blatant dive and he should have earned himself a second yellow card. The match kicked on and City looked the more confident and were then rewarded with a goal in the 57th minute. Milner made a good run into the box and then squared the ball back across the six yard box. Silva was left unmarked and easily steered the ball into the goal. 2-1 and Liverpool looking very uncertain in the back and also the midfield.

David Silva brings Manchester City back into the game in the 56th minute

City now had a new found confidence and drive to push at Liverpool who looked a very different team then the one who played on the first half. The Sky Blues pushed on and Liverpool really needed to get their mind back on the game. Then in the 62nd minute City would strike once again and would get themselves back on level terms. Silva once again would find himself inside the box and this time make a run toward the left post and attempt to cut the ball across the goal. Unfortunately for Liverpool the ball clipped Glen Johnson and found it's way into the back of his own net. 2-2 and this match was there for the taking of either team.

Glen Johnson with an unlucky touch got City the equalising goal

The match heated up as Liverpool now saw all their hard work in the first half go down the drain. The Reds did break forward but just as Suarez made his way around Kompany the Uruguayan would once again go down too easily looking for the penalty call and was once again lucky not to be booked for simulation. Liverpool then slowly started to regather themselves and push forward. Twice they were denied by the offside flag as Suarez and Henderson both were caught ahead of the defence. It was City's turn next as Silva found himself running onto a great pass by Aguero. The Spaniard though was just a fraction late and saw the ball go the wrong side of the post.  Then after most of the second half was dominated by Man City it was Liverpool who would strike back and regain the lead with 12 minutes left to play. The Reds won the corner and as the ball was whipped in it appeared to be an easy clearance by their captain Kompany. He would uncharacteristically scuff the ball and Coutinho would pounce and his powerful curving strike would find the bottom corner and Liverpool back in the lead.

Coutinho pounced on Kompany's mistake and regained Liverpool's lead in the 78th minute.

Manchester City now knew it was now or never and needed to once again get themselves back on level terms.  Henderson though would make things interesting as he was sent off with two minutes left to play after his studsuptackle on Nasri. City pushed forward but Liverpool would hold on and keep their dream alive of finally winning the Premier League title after a long 24 year wait.

Rodgers could be the manager that would bring Liverpool back to the glory days

Ciao for now readers
Loading ...