Nick D

Manchester City start their Title defence, while Liverpool stay on their heel

Created on Aug. 18, 2014 7:32 AM EST

Manchester City are back to defend their Premier League title and once again they are one of the favourites to win it again. Their first match saw them face Newcastle United at St James park. Normally a tough ask for any team but Newcastle just haven't been the strong side they were once known as. Manchester City would start strong and look to push the Magpies deep back into their own half. Dzeko was lurking dangerously up front and was being a nuisance to defenders. He was trying to find the gap between the defence as the dangerous through balls kept coming. Though Krul was in fine form and did manage to come out and stop any chances at goal. Newcastle would look to counter as they knew that it will be hard to win the possession game against a star studded City side. In fact the chances were limited and the first save would come from Krul as he punched clear Nasri's drive from about 20 yards out. The game pressed on as both defences stood well to deny the other any clear chances as halftime approached. Then it would be the Spaniard David Silva that would finally find a way through and open the scoring in the 38th minute. Toure would play a lovely ball into the left side of the box as Dzeko managed to peel away from the defenders. As he did Silva broke free and made his way into the box where he was picked out by the Bosnian with a clever back-heel and Silva made no mistakes as he slid the ball into the bottom right corner past the outstretched body of the keeper.

David Silva would open the scoring for Manchester City as they kicked off their title defence

The second half would see a slight fight back by Newcastle but the City defence was well organised and the midfield was working hard to limit the chances at their goal. Toure once again was superb and has proven to be a great playmaker for the club, as has Kompany showing to be the rock for the team in the back-line. Still the movement by the City forwards was strong and kept the Newcastle defenders on their toes. Newcastle did have a few chances from set pieces but the final touch lacked the quality to get Newcastle back into the game. Then in the final minutes Aguero would come on from the bench and seal the 2-0 win for City with an injury time goal. He would be fight for space as he peeled away from Coloccini and as he got into the left side of the box his first attempt would be blocked by Krul but the ball would cruelly bounce back to Aguero who slotted the second chance to confirm the points for Manchester City.

Aguero would seal the win deep in imjury time as City grabbed all three points

Liverpool kicked off their season with their first match of the season against Southampton at Anfield. The last time these two met saw Southampton walk away with the away win, but with three of their stars now on Liverpool's squad a repeat was going to be a tough ask. Liverpool started slightly stronger of the two sides as they looked to make an impact in their season opener. Sterling and Sturridge started well as they both threatened the Southampton goal early on in the match. Lucas was back in the lineup for the Reds, while Southampton were showing off their recent signing Dusan Tadic. They acquired the Serbian midfielder from FC Twente and he already had an impressive resume making 66 appearances for the Dutch side and scoring 28 goals. Southampton also where under new management as Ronald Koeman took over with the departure of Pochettino to Tottenham Hotspur. As the game wore on Liverpool where still the slightly more dominating of the two but Southampton settled into the game and looked dangerous on the counter attack. Sturridge would try his luck from distance but would see his shot go over the bar. Though after a good spell of play Liverpool would find the breakthrough as Raheem Sterling fired the Reds into the lead. Henderson would battle well in the midfield and win possession back on the half way line. He looked up and picked out Sterling between the two defenders and the youngster easily guided the ball past the keeper and into the bottom right corner.

Sterling gave the Reds the advantage after 23 minutes of action

The second half and Southampton with it all to do as Liverpool looked to secure all three points at home. The Saints started brightly and had some good possession early on in the half. The possession would pay off for them as Clyne would blast home in the 56th minute to level the scoreline. Clyne played the ball to Tadic on the edge of the Liverpool box, he would cut around the new signing making his way into the box. Tadic then cheekily back heeled the ball into his path and the defender gave the keeper no chance, as he blasted the ball into the roof of the net like he was a veteran striker. Southampton with the goal and new sense of confidence not seen by the squad in the first half. They continued to push on as they now had the belief that they could win this match. Though as the game wore on Liverpool would find their feet and regain possession and control of the match. Then as he has done on plenty of occasions last season Daniel Sturridge would step up and regain the lead for Liverpool. A corner kick saw the ball look for Lambert but it was cleared out by the defence. The ball was then lobbed back into the box where Sterling rose well to head down toward Sturridge who steered the ball into the bottom left corner to regain Liverpool's lead. Liverpool then managed to hold on and play out the last 10 minutes and get the victory. Southampton did come close as Schneiderlin found the underside of the crossbar but the ball would unluckily bounce back into play and not cross the line. Liverpool with the win but it was a tough game and Southampton were slightly unlucky not to get a result from the match.

Daniel Sturridge's 79th minute goal was enough to secure all three points for the Reds

Ciao for Now Readers
Loading ...