Nick D

Costa Rica upset Uruguay 3-1, while Suarez watches from the sidelines

Created on Jun. 14, 2014 5:02 PM EST

Uruguay came into this game as the favourites to take all three points, but like all football games you should never assume or ever underestimate your opponent. And the biggest news before kick off was Suarez not being named in the starting eleven, Tabarez opting to leave the Liverpool star on the bench to ensure he can play the next games against Italy and England. The game kicked off with Costa Rica playing with confidence and not afraid to attack with numbers. Their passing was crisp and accurate and their build ups were patient and calculating too. Though as the minutes ticked over Uruguay started to exert their influence on the game and slowly started to control the tempo and play. Cavani would have the first real chance at goal as the ball was fed to him on the right side of the box. Though Cavani took his eye off the ball at the crucial moment and the shot went well wide of the mark. The match progressed on as both teams battled it out in the midfield and chances were far and few between.Then in the 24th minute the ref would change the game as he awarded the third penalty kick of the first round  matches. Uruguay attacked with numbers and as the free kick was played looping into the box, Lugano got in front of the defender. As he tried to get to the ball, both Lugano and Junior Diaz would tumble over. The ref would blow the whistle and signal for the spot kick. Despite the Costa Rican players protests about the decision, on replay it did show that Diaz put both hands around Lugano's waist and pull him down to the ground. Cavani would step up and fire the Uruguayan fans into song and cheers, as the ball rattled the back of the net.

Edison Cavani would put Uruguay into the lead with a well taken penalty kick in the 24th minute

Costa rica responded well after conceding and started to enjoy some more possession in the oppositions half. A few corner kicks and some last ditch defending kept the scoreline at 1-0. Uruguay though were dangerous when they had possession and continued to push forward and create chances. The veteran Forlan did have a great chance to double the lead just before the halftime whistle, but his shot was deflected by the defender and the keeper had to scramble back and punch the looping ball over the crossbar as it was definitely heading for the goal. So 1-0 for Uruguay at halftime and even though Costa Rica did have a few good spells of possession, they still hadn't registered a shot on target, which was worrisome for the players and fans alike.
The second half and Uruguay were prepared to take the game slow and keep the tempo at their pace. This would be costly for uruguay as they would allow Costa Rica to push forward and find their equaliser in the 53rd minute. Costa Rica built the play up from their half and got the ball to Ruiz on the right wing. He played a one two with Gamboa who then did really well to run down the right side and manage to keep the ball in play and cross it into the centre of the box. The defender would get a touch to it but is would fall to Campbell who was all alone at the top of the box. The 21 year old would compose himself, take a touch and then fire the ball low and into the bottom right corner. 1-1 and Costa Rica with a new found bounce in their step. Uruguay then would suffer another major blow as only 2 minutes later the South Americans would find themselves a goal down. Costa Rica had a free kick about 35 yards out in the centre of the pitch. The ball was played towards the left post and Oscar Durate managed to outmuscle the defender and get a head to the ball and guide it past the keeper and into the goal. 2-1 for Costa Rica as Uruguay were left stunned after conceding 2 goals in 3 minutes.

Oscar Durate would be the unlikely hero as he gave the lead to Costa Rica in the 55th minute

Uruguay now found themselves chasing the game, after only 5 minutes before that were in the lead and seemed in full control of the game. Pinto reacted immediately after the goal and made a double substitution bringing on Gonzalez and Lodeiro for Forlan and Gargano. Uruguay now had to be weary when pushing forward not to get caught on the counter attack and find themselves two goals down. They pressed forward down the left side and played in a dangerous ball into the box, Cavani had a decent chance as he headed the cross well towards the far post, but the keeper was alert and managed to get a fist to it and punch it clear. 15 minutes left to play and Pinto would use his last substitution and bring on Hernandez for Rodriguez, deciding to leave Suarez on the bench and have him fit and healthy for the England game. Uruguay now were desperate as the pushed forward in search for the equaliser. The game also got more physical as the tackles started flying in and the yellow card was shown to Caceres and after seeing the replay he was lucky to escape with only a yellow as he had his studs up on that tackle. 
In the end though Uruguay would have the game slip away from them as they got caught on the counter and found themselves 3-1 down. Marco Urena who had only got subbed in a minute ago would outpace the defenders and manage to get around the keeper and easily slot the ball into the empty net. Things got even worse for Uruguay deep in injury time as Maxi Pereira lashed out wildly at Campbell and he was given his marching orders after being shown the red card. The dreaded Group D, nicknamed the Group of Death is now turned upside down by the team most were saying would be the easy game to play.

Marco Urena would score in the 84th minute after only being on the pitch for a minute to give Costa Rica an unlikely win over the South American champions Uruguay

Ciao readers and will there be more upsets surely to come? Keep watching the 20th FIFA World Cup from Brazil!
Loading ...