Cottagers yet to sack Meulensteen
Fulham's turbulent season took another twist yesterday after it was revealed that Rene Meulensteen has not officially been sacked by the clubs hierarchy.
Former Bayern Munich boss Felix Magath was appointed as first team head coach Friday just 75 days after Meulensteen took charge of the Premier Leagues bottom placed team.
Fulham released a statement announcing Magath's appointment, but there was no mention of Meulensteen, who's future is still unclear, after Magath was brought in without his knowing.
After the statement was announced, Meulensteen went on the radio a to claim chief executive Alistair Mackintos had told him that he had been 'released'.
Magath, who won the Bundesliga twice with Bayern Munich in 2005 and 2006 and once with Wolfsburg in 2009, wants to review the current backroom staff before he decides who he wants to keep and who to let go.
The 60-year-old German took charge of training for the first time yesterday and has a reputation as a strict disciplinarian and has been labelled a 'paranoid control freak' by one of his former bosses Uli Hoeness.
Munich president Hoeness, who sacked Magath in 2007, says Fulham players will be shocked at how hard he expects them to work.
"He goes well beyond the limits of physical challenges with players" Hoeness told the Metro.
He added: "He pushes players to a ridiculous stage, well over the edge.
"For him it is natural to squeeze the body of a professional player like a lemon to the very final drop.
"This can lead to a short revival but in the long term it leads to disaster, Felix Magath has proved this at every club he has been at".