This article is published by Football.com. Please contact Football.scom if you think this content is appropriate and should be removed from this page.
Everton confirm Martinez talks
May 29, 2013 11:32 AM EST
Everton chairman Bill Kenwright has confirmed he will speak to Roberto Martinez about becoming the club's manager within the next 48 hours.
The Wigan manager was given permission by the Lancashire club to discuss terms with another club on Tuesday, and Kenwright has now confirmed that he will discuss a move to Goodison Park with the Spaniard.
The Merseyside club are on the hunt for a new manager, with David Moyes set to take over at Manchester United in July, and the Everton chief insisted that Martinez was just one of a number of candidates for the role.
Kenwright pleaded for assistance from the club's fans after Moyes' departure was confirmed and, although admitting not all the suggestions had been serious, he thanked the supporters for their help.
"I will meet Roberto in the next 48 hours and he's on the list, as I've always said. No more than on the list," Kenwright told Sky Sports News.
"I said we'd be making a list, and Evertonians have been great as I indicated I thought they would be. They've certainly bombarded me with their thoughts and they're not a million miles away from mine.
"You always get the odd one that thinks he's got the only idea, and there are a few plumbers and electricians who think they can manage Everton, but in the main Evertonians and myself are sort of on the same page.
"The most gratifying thing is 90 percent of them said 'you didn't let us down last time, go with your gut instinct and hopefully you'll get it right again'.
"There's no way I or anyone can say 'we'll get the right man' but I certainly will put everything into getting it right and getting the right DNA for Everton Football Club. That's very important."
Martinez led Wigan to the FA Cup this season, but that success was soured somewhat by relegation to the Championship after eight seasons in the Premier League.