Featured Coach: Peter Carey of Capistrano FC
Our Featured Coach series continues with Peter Carey of Capistrano FC.
He was one of Capistrano FC's original founders and currently serves as the Club Director and General Manager. He has also served as the head coach at San Juan Hills High School since 2011.
You can learn more about his experience in the sport by visiting his official Capistrano FC profile.
1. Who is your favorite professional player to watch, and what is it about his game that intrigues you the most?
Peter: I really enjoy watching Eden Hazard of Chelsea. I love the way he uses his speed to change gears with the ball at his feet and creates separation from other players.
He makes it look easy!
2. What are the major characteristics that you try to instill in your players in order to help them strive to become a complete soccer player?
Peter: There are several characteristics that I focus on with my players. Commitment, confidence, concentration, team work, hard work, chemistry, and professionalism are all crucial to success as a soccer player.
3. Is there a specific individual training drill that you would recommend for all youth soccer players?
Peter: Without a doubt, it's 5v2. Every soccer player should do this! It’s so much fun and gets players in the right mood before the start of practice.
4. What gives you the most satisfaction as a coach in terms of player and team development?
Peter: Seeing a player move on to the next level of their game, and seeing a player mature as a person. It’s all about growth and being part of that growth, as well as developing young men and women on and off the pitch.
5. What is the most influential piece of advice that you've received that's helped you throughout your career?
Peter: As a coach, my college and mentor Coach McGrogan from IVC told me to not to worry about the players who quit or leave for another club. Instead, he said to focus on the ones that are there with you.
I spend less time recruiting and more time on player development. This has helped my team to accomplish much success, and now were like a family!