Investigative Reporter Claims Aaron Hernandez Grossly Overcharged, Will Beat Case
The story of the NFL offseason has no doubt been the disturbing revelation of former New England Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez. Hernandez, who was indicted on first-degree murder charges last week, could face up to life in prison without the possibility of parole if convicted.
Since details of Hernandez’s involvement emerged, much has been said on Hernandez’s past transgressions. Rolling Stone magazine did its own investigative reporting, releasing a story that chronicled the life and times of Aaron Hernandez from his youth and his time at Florida to the events leading up to the June 17 death of his former friend, Odin Lloyd.
Contributing editor of the story, Paul Solotaroff, was on The Doug Gottlieb Show this week to discuss Hernandez. Solotaroff believes that while there very likely will be consequences for Hernandez’s actions, a return to the NFL is still very much a possibility in the future.
“I think (the case) is not only beatable, (but) I think he will be back in the NFL within three or four years,” Solotaroff said. “I think they’ve grossly overcharged him based on the case they’re building – no direct eye witness, no murder weapon (and) no plausible motive.”
Additionally, Solotaroff made mention that Hernandez has no prior convictions. While his gun charges are nothing to scoff at, Solotaroff hinted that it would be a stretch for the judge to sentence Hernandez, in addition to getting 12 jurors to unanimously agree to send a 24-year-old away to life in prison.
While a return to the NFL after serving prison time is no longer considered impossible — as we’ve seen it done in recent years with Michael Vick and Plaxico Burress — Hernandez’s initial charges and look into his past have certainly clouded the perception of whether Hernandez will ever be a free man again.
A hearing for discovery motions is scheduled for Aug. 30 at 2:00 p.m.