Football News

League 2 Wrap: Duo lose 100 per cent records

Created on Aug. 24, 2013 2:15 PM EST

Both of the 100 per cent records in League 2 disappeared on Saturday as Oxford United and Southend United dropped points.

Oxford had defender John Mullins to thank as his last-minute equaliser salvaged them a point in a 2-2 draw at home to Wycombe Wanderers, who had Charles Dunne sent off.

Southend, meanwhile, were beaten 2-1 at Chesterfield, with Ivorian striker Armand Gnanduillet’s last-minute winner enabling Paul Cook’s side to leapfrog their opponents into second place.

Fleetwood Town won 1-0 at Hartlepool United to move up to third, with Northern Irish midfielder Jeff Hughes scoring the winner with his third goal of the season.

Hartlepool remain alongside Accrington Stanley as the only clubs yet to register a win this season, as Jason Taylor’s strike for Cheltenham Town consigned Stanley to a 1-0 defeat at the Crown Ground.

Michael Symes and Adam McGurk scored late goals to save Burton Albion’s unbeaten record as they came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 draw at home to Bury.

One place below Burton in sixth sit Newport County, who continued their impressive start to the season on their return to the Football League with a 1-1 draw at Dagenham and Redbridge.

Morecambe got their first win of the season by inflicting a first defeat of the campaign on Exeter City, Kevin Ellison’s brace making it 2-0 at the Globe Arena.

At the Memorial Stadium, Bristol Rovers also took their first three-point haul of the campaign, coming out on top in a 3-2 thriller against 10-man York City, John O’Toole with the winner after Ryan Bowman saw red for the visitors.

Another five-goal thriller saw Scunthorpe United go down 3-2 at AFC Wimbledon, as substitute Chris Arthur scored a late winner for the home side.

Mansfield’s Lindon Meikle grabbed his side’s equaliser as they drew 2-2 at home to Portsmouth, a result which leaves both sides in mid-table with five points from four games.

Elsewhere, Torquay United came from behind to win 2-1 at Northampton Town, while Reuben Reid scored from the penalty to give Plymouth Argyle a 1-0 win at home to Rochdale.

Loading ...