Liepājas Metalurgs

Founded In
1909 / 1997
Location
Liepāja, Latvia

Liepājas Metalurgs

About Liepājas Metalurgs

Futbola Klubs Liepājas Metalurgs was founded in its current form in 1997, although its history can be traced back to 1945. Located in the city of Liepāja, the team's name is taken from a local metallurgical factory. Throughout history, the club have enjoyed some significant success, both as part of the Soviet Union and within independent Latvia.

In 1945, two previous teams from the city, Daugava Liepāja and Dinamo Liepāja, were established. Daugava won Latvian league and cup doubles in the 1946 and 1947 seasons, before merging with Dinamo Liepāja in 1949 to create Sarkanais Metalurgs. After winning the league in their first season, additional league titles followed in 1951, 1953, 1954, 1956, 1957 and 1958. Meanwhile, the side added further Latvian Cup wins in 1953, 1954, 1955, 1963 and 1964. Over the decades, the club was rebranded several times, with names including Zvejnieks Liepāja and Olimpija Liepāja. After receiving funding from the local metallurgy factory, the team adopted its current identity in 1997.

Since Latvia gained independence from the Soviet Union, Liepājas Metalurgs have emerged as one of the country's most successful teams, collecting additional league titles in 2005 and 2009. In 2006, the team defeated Skonto FC in the final of the Latvian Football Cup. The club's domestic performances have seen them enter several continental competitions. In 2004-05, they defeated Tórshavn and Östers in order to reach the first round of the UEFA Cup.

Viktors Dobrecovs, Aleksandr Katasonov and Kristaps Grebis are amongst the most notable players to have played for Liepājas Metalurgs. All three players were Virslīga golden boot winners during their time with the club.

The team's home games are held at Daugava Stadium, previously known as Pilsētas Stadions. The venue was built during the 1920s and is able to hold up to 5,083 supporters.

Latvia
Other Teams