This article is published by Football.com. Please contact Football.com if you think this content is appropriate and should be removed from this page.
Manchester City an option for Pellegrini
May 27, 2013 12:26 AM EST
Malaga coach Manuel Pellegrini says Manchester City is an option for him when he leaves the Spanish club at the end of the season.
The 59-year-old is City's first-choice candidate to replace Roberto Mancini, who was sacked with two English Premier League games remaining earlier in May.
Pellegrini has already revealed he will leave Malaga in the off-season for 'sporting reasons' but has, until now, remained coy over his next destination.
"I am fortunate to have some very good options and Manchester City is one of them," Pellegrini told reporters.
The 59-year-old quickly emerged as the favourite to take over at Etihad Stadium for the start of the new season even before Mancini was relieved of his duties, with details emerging of meetings between City and Pellegrini's agent on the morning of the FA Cup final.
However, City's demoralising defeat to Wigan at Wembley capped off a disappointing final season under Mancini, in which the club easily conceded their Premier League title to city rivals Manchester United and failed to progress from their Champions League group.
Those failures, coupled with reports of Mancini's man-management skills beginning to fail with his players, eventually sealed the Italian's fate.
Should Pellegrini arrive at City, there have also been reports that he will bring star Malaga midfielder Isco with him.