Football News

Scottish Premiership: Partick Thistle 0 Hibernian 1

Created on Oct. 08, 2013 1:11 AM EST

Liam Craig's fine second-half strike helped Hibernian to a smash-and-grab 1-0 win at Partick Thistle on Monday.

Hibernian goalkeeper Ben Williams was on top form throughout the match, keeping the hosts at bay with a string of excellent saves.

And Craig made Partick Thistle pay for their profligacy with a delightful curling effort in the 69th minute as Hibs climbed to fifth in the Scottish Premiership.

Hibernian headed into the match on the back of a 3-0 defeat at Inverness Caledonian Thistle, but before that, they had gone on a six-match unbeaten run.

Hibs manager Pat Fenlon kept the faith with the side that lost at Inverness though, refusing to make a change.

Partick Thistle started brightly, with Sean Welsh and Kallum Higginbotham having early efforts on goal, while Kris Doolan turned Stephen O'Donnell's cross just over on the stroke of half-time.

Doolan should have given Partick Thistle the lead in the second half when Hibs were caught out by a long ball, but the striker failed to take advantage of Michael Nelson's missed clearance.

The 26-year-old got through on goal and had time to pick his spot but was denied by Williams, while Higginbotham dragged another effort wide.

Hibs produced the ultimate sucker-punch with Craig's goal, as French substitute Abdellah Zoubir saw his excellent cut-back curled into the top corner.

Paul Heffernan could have sealed it for Hibs moments later, only to be denied by Partick goalkeeper Stuart Fox, before Alan Archibald's side enjoyed a sustained spell of pressure.

They could not find a way past Williams though, who made an outstanding double save in the dying stages of the match.

First the Englishman denied substitute Christie Elliot with a reaction stop before he recovered to tip a Ross Forbes effort wide.

And Williams' heroics proved enough for Hibernian, who made it three wins from their last four league matches on the road.

Loading ...