Sligo Rovers

Founded In
1928
Location
Sligo, Republic of Ireland

Sligo Rovers

About Sligo Rovers

Sligo Rovers Football Club was first established in September 1928, as a result of a merger between Sligo Blues and Sligo Town, two junior teams from that era. The club is owned by the people of Sligo and throughout history, they have enjoyed some notable successes in domestic competitions. The club's nickname is The Bit o' Red, in reference to their traiditonal all-red home kit.

Historically, their main rivals have been Galway United, with whom they contest the Connacht Derby. Although both teams' primary derby match, the rivalry has usually been relatively friendly, with both clubs maintaining a good relationship with each other. In more recent times, however, a rivalry has also grown between Sligo Rovers and Shamrock Rovers, which has been dubbed the Rovers Derby. 

In total, Sligo Rovers have been crowned as champions of the League of Ireland on three occasions, with those title wins occurring in 1936–37, 1976–77 and most recently in 2012. The team lifted the FAI Cup for the first time in 1981 and have since gone on to win the competition five times, with their other successes coming in 1994, 2010, 2011 and 2013. Additional success has come in the League of Ireland Cup, which Sligo Rovers collected in both 1998 and 2010.

Dixie Dean is perhaps the most famous player to have played for Sligo Rovers and he enjoyed a brief spell with the club back in 1939. Tony Fagan holds the club's all-time appearance record, while Johnny Armstrong scored 138 times for the side, making him their greatest ever goalscorer. 

Sligo have played their home matches at The Showgrounds since their foundation. The venue, which is also sometimes known as The Showgies, was renovated in 2012 and is now able to hold a total of 4,500 spectators, with approximately 4,000 seated spaces in the ground.