Football News

UEFA Champions League Wrap: Arsenal, Basel breeze through

Created on Aug. 27, 2013 6:49 PM EST

Aaron Ramsey stole the show with a double as Arsenal beat Fenerbahce 2-0 to qualify for the UEFA Champions League group stages.

The result means that Arsene Wenger's side will play in Europe's premier club competition for the 16th year running, with the win at the Emirates Stadium on Tuesday securing a 5-0 aggregate victory.

Ramsey opened the scoring in the 25th minute when he swept into an empty net from close range after Gokhan Gonul had prevented Theo Walcott from shooting with a sliding challenge.

And the Welshman capped a fine individual performance with a wonderful side-footed volley from Kieran Gibbs' cross in the second half.

Elsewhere, 10-man Schalke confirmed their place in the group stages with a 3-2 victory away to PAOK at the Stadio Toumbas, giving them a 4-3 win over the two legs.

The Bundesliga outfit took the lead in the first half through Adam Szalai, but they were pegged back shortly after the break when Stefanos Athanasiadis slotted past Timo Hildebrand.

Schalke's position worsened in the 64th minute when Jermaine Jones was sent off for a second bookable offence, but they were once more ahead in the 67th minute thanks to Julian Draxler's strike.

The Greek side came back again, though, and Konstantinos Katsouranis ensured there would be a nervy finish to the tie.

However, Huub Stevens' men were unable to find the goal that would have sent them through and their challenge was finally ended in the last minute when Szalai grabbed his second of the game.

Meanwhile, Fabian Frei and Philipp Degen scored either side of half-time as Swiss champions Basel eased to a 2-0 victory over Ludogorets of Bulgaria, giving them a comfortable 6-2 aggregate victory.

Austria Vienna will join them in the group stages despite losing 3-2 at home to Dinamo Zagreb on the night.

Florian Mader put the home side ahead in the fifth minute, but Marcelo Brozovic, Junior Fernandes and Fatos Beciraj looked to have put Zagreb through on the away goals ruling.

However, Roman Kienast scored with eight minutes remaining to send Austria Vienna through 4-3 on aggregate.

Zagreb's El Arbi Hilal was then sent off in injury time to compound the away side's misery.

Steaua Bucharest scored twice in the opening nine minutes as they went through 3-3 on away goals thanks a 2-2 draw with Legia Warsaw on the night.

Nicolae Stanciu and Federico Piovaccari scored within two minutes of one another to put the away side in a commanding position early on.

Miroslav Radovic halved the deficit on 27 minutes, but they exited the competition despite a goal deep into injury time from Jakub Rzezniczak.

Loading ...