This article is published by Football.com. Please contact Football.com if you think this content is appropriate and should be removed from this page.
Valcke: Sao Paulo ready for World Cup
Aug 20, 2013 10:25 AM EST
FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke admits the 2014 World Cup in Brazil could be hit by disruptive protests and demonstrations.
But the Frenchman is confident the tournament will still go ahead as planned, just as the Confederations Cup did earlier this year amid civil unrest.
"Potentially things will happen at the World Cup and potentially there will be demonstrations," Valcke said.
"What is important is that together, the local organising committee and FIFA organised the Confederations Cup with a high level of demonstrations – so we will organise the World Cup."
Valcke is currently on a four-day FIFA inspection visit to see if Brazil have stepped up their preparations for the World Cup next year.
In the Arena de Sao Paulo, which will host the opening match of the tournament, Valcke was relieved that the venue would now be ready on time, thanking the hard work of the labourers.
"I remember during the Confederations Cup we had an emergency meeting with Andres Sanchez (Corinthians Stadium Representative) and Julio Semeghini (Sao Paulo State Secretary of Planning and Regional Development) just because we were afraid about when this stadium would be delivered," he said.
"I can tell you that the stadium will be given on time and yes it will be ready to organise the opening game of the World Cup.
"What has been done by the 2000 people working in the stadium is just amazing so thank you – all of you."