Willem II

Founded In
1896
Location
Tilburg, Netherlands

Willem II

About Willem II

Willem II Tilburg, often shortened to Willem II, was founded back in 1896 under the name Tilburgia. Less than two years after the club's foundation, its name was changed to Willem II; named after Willem Frederik George Lodewijk, or King William II. King William II is noted for basing a HQ in the city of Tilburg while serving as military commander during the Belgian Revolution in 1830.

Willem II have a long history and are seen as one of the most traditional clubs in the Netherlands. The team has been named Dutch Club of the Year on three occasions, in 1987, 1990 and 1999. The 2010-11 season brought about disater for the club, when they were relegated from the top flight for the first time in over two decades. However, the following season, Willem II won the Eerste Divisie playoffs and returned to the Eredivisie.

The club has achieved notable success domestically, being crowned Dutch champions in 1916, 1952 and 1955. Since the formation of the Eredivisie, the club's best performance in the league was a 2nd place finish in 1998-99, which granted them qualification to the following season's UEFA Champions League. Willem II have won the KNVB Cup on two occasions, in 1944 and 1963. In 2004, they reached the final of the competition once again, but were beaten 4-0 by PSV Eindhoven.

Throughout the team's history, a host of notable international players have worn the Willem II jersey. Some of the more famous examples include Marc Overmars, Jaap Stam, Tomáš Galásek, Sami Hyypiä and Mousa Dembélé.

Since 1995, the club has played its home matches at the Koning Willem II Stadion. The stadium was built on the same ground as the previous club stadium, Gemeentelijk Sportpark, which was demolished in 1992. The Koning Willem II Stadion underwent renovations at the turn of the millennium and is capable of holding up to 14,637 supporters.